Stratford-upon-Avon
艾汶河畔的斯特拉福镇
It was a sunny day in October 1579 when I first met Will,just outside Stratford,near a big field of apple trees.
我第一次遇见威尔是在1579年10月的一天。那天,阳光明媚,就在斯特拉福镇外一座大苹果园附近,
I saw a boy up in one of the trees.He had red hair and looked about two years older than me.
我看见有棵苹果树上坐着一位小男孩,长着红棕色头发,看模样大概大我两岁。
What are you doing up there?I called.
你在上边干什么?我叫道。
Just getting a few apples,he said,smiling
摘苹果。他笑着答道。
Those are Farmer Nash&`&s apples,I said,and he&`&ll send his dogs after you if he sees you.
那可是纳什农场主的苹果,我说,如果他发现了,就要放狗咬你的。
Mr Nash has gone to market,the boy said.Come on!They&`&re good apples.
纳什先生去集市了,男孩说道,来吧!苹果不错。
The next minute I was up the tree with him.
一会儿我也上了树。
But Will was wrong.
但是威尔错了,
Farmer Nash wasn&`&t at the market,
纳什先生并没去集市,
and a few minutes later we saw his angry red face above the wall on the far side of the field.
几分钟后我们看见果园那端墙头露出一张气得发红的脸。
Will and I ran like the wind and only stopped when we reached the river.
威尔和我见势撒腿就跑,
We sat down to eat our apples.
一口气跑到河边才坐下来吃苹果。
Will was fifteen,and lived in Henley Street,he told me.
威尔告诉我,他15岁,住在亨里街。
His father was John Shakespeare,and he had a sister,Joan,and two younger brothers,
家中有父亲约翰·莎士比亚,妹妹琼和两个弟弟,
Gilbert and Richard.There was another sister who died,I learnt later.
吉尔伯特和理查。我后来听说他另有一位姐姐死了。
And the next year he had another brother,little Edmund—the baby of the family.
第二年他又添了一个弟弟——威尔家的赤子小埃德蒙。
Now,what about you?he asked.
那么你呢?”他问道。
There&`&s only me and my sister,I said.
家里只有我和姐姐。
My parents are dead,and we live with my mother&`&s brother:
我说,父母死后我们住在舅舅家。
He&`&s a shoe-maker in Ely Street and I work for him.
他是埃利街的一个鞋匠,我为他打工。
What do you do?
你现在干什么?
I go to Mr Jenkins&`& school in Church Street,Will said.
我在教堂街詹金斯先生的学校就读,威尔说,
Every day,from seven o&`&clock until five o&`&clock.
每天从上午7点到下午5点上学,
Not Sundays,of course.
当然不包括星期天。
I was sorry for him.
我真为他难过。
Isn&`&t is boring?I asked.
这难道不乏味吗?我问道。
Sometimes.Usually it&`&s all right.
偶尔有这种感觉,不过通常觉得学校的生活也不错。
He lay back and put his hands behind his head.
他仰身躺下,双手枕着头,在学校,
But we have to read and learn all these Latin writers.
我们不得不学习所有那些拉丁作家的作品。
I want to read modern writers,and Eng-lish writers,like Geoffrey Chaucer.
可我只想阅读现代作家和英国作家的作品,比如杰弗利·乔叟。
Can you read?he asked.
你会看书吗?他问道。
Of course I can read!
当然会啦!
I said.I went to school.
我说,我上过学。