&`&Well, &`& said Defarge, &`&it is a long time.&`&
“唉,”得法热说,“时间太长了。”
&`&It takes time to prepare for change. The crimes against the people of France cannot be revenged in a day.&`&
“准备变革就得花费时间。”
&`&But we may not live to see the end.&`&
“但我们也许不会活着看到结果了。”
&`&Even if that happens, &`& replied Madame Defarge, &`&we shall help it to come.
“即使是这样,”得法热夫人说,”“我们也要尽力让它到来。
But I believe that we shall see the day of our revenge against these hated noblemen.&`&
但是我相信我们会看到我们对那些可恨的贵族们复仇的那一天。”
The next day a stranger came into the wine-shop. At once, Madame Defarge picked up a rose from the table and put it in her hair.
第二天一个陌生人来到了酒店。立刻,得法热夫人便从桌上拿起一支玫瑰花插在了头发上。
As soon as they saw this, the customers stopped talking and, one by one, without hurrying, left the wine-shop.
顾客们一看到这个动作便立刻停止了交谈,并一个接着一个从容地离开了酒店。
&`&Good day, Madame, &`& said the stranger.
“你好,夫人。”陌生人说。
&`&Good day, Monsieur, &`&said Madame Defarge, but to herself she said,
“你好,先生。”得法热夫人说。但她心里说:
&`&About forty years old, tall, black hair, thin face. Yes, I know who you are, Mr John Barsad.&`&
“大约40多岁,高个儿,黑头发,瘦脸庞。对了,我知道你是谁,约翰·巴萨德先生。”
&`&Is business good?&`& asked the stranger.
“生意好吗?”陌生人问。
&`&Business is bad, The people are so poor.&`& Madame Defarge looked over to the door.&`&Ah, here is my husband.&`&
“生意不好,人们太穷了。”得法热夫人抬起头看着门。“啊,这是我丈夫。”
&`&Good day, Jacques, &`&said the spy.
“你好,雅克。”间谍说道。
&`&You&`&re wrong, &`& said Defarge, staring at him.&`&That&`&s not my name. I am Ernest Defarge.&`&
“你错了,”得法热盯着他说。“那不是我的名字,我叫恩斯特·得法热。”
&`&It&`&s all the same, &`& said the spy easily.&`&I remember something about you, Monsieur Defarge.
“那都一样,”间谍随口说道。“我记得你的一些事,得法热先生。
You took care of Dr Manette when he came out of the Bastille.&`&
马内特医生从巴士底狱出来后是你照顾他的。”
&`&That&`&s true, &`& said Defarge.
“是那样的。”得法热说。
&`&Have you heard much from Dr Manette and his daughter? They&`&re in England now.&`&
“你常有马内特医生和他女儿的消息吗?他们现在在英国。”
&`&No, not for a long time.&`&
“没有,很长时间都没有了。”