每日听写8.25(选)中级BBC你能成为素食主义者吗
Catherine: I still can't believe you still don't have a smartphone in this day and age, Neil.
我仍然无法相信你现在没有一个智能手机,尼尔。
Neil: Well, maybe I just object to smartphones for ethical reasons!
也许我是出于道德原因而反对智能手机!
Catherine: So you have for moral reasons to smartphones?
所以你反对智能手机是出于道德原因?
Neil: Yeah, for me it's important to understand the conditions of the workers in the factory where the smartphone is made.
是的,对于我来说,重要的是要了解在智能手机生产工厂里的工人们的工作环境。
Catherine: That's fair enough then. But, Neil, you haven't become vegan yet for ethical reasons, have you?
有道理。但是,尼尔,你没有因为道德原因而成为素食主义者,不是吗?
Neil: You've got me there — I admire veganism but I still like cheese too much to do it! Veganism is the noun.
你说的对。虽然我欣赏素食主义,但我还是太喜欢芝士了,所以我做不到!素食主义是一个名词。
Catherine: That's right. So two more words to go — we have arid and livestock. Arid describes land that is too dry to support many crops or plants.
是的,还有两个单词:arid和livestock。arid的意思是土地太干旱而无法养活庄稼或植物。
Neil: But arid regions can sometimes support livestock — livestock means farm animals.
但贫瘠地区有些时候可以养活livestock——livestock是指农场动物。
Neil: If you think of the 'stock' as being the assets of a business, then animals are 'living' or 'live' stock.
如果你把“股票”视为企业的资产,那么动物就是“活”股票。
Catherine: And that brings us to the end of today's programme.
我们今天的节目就到这里了。
Catherine: Join us on our Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube pages for lots more! Let us know what you think of veganism!
欢迎大家在Facebook、Twitter、Instagram 和YouTube上收听我们的节目。让我们知道你对素食主义的看法!
Both: Bye for now. Bye!
再见。再见!
6 Minute English from the BBC.
BBC英语六分钟。