The third showed the pinnacle of an iceberg piercing a polar winter sky.
第三幅画的是一座冰山的尖顶,刺破了北极冬季的天空,
A muster of northern lights reared their dim lances, close serried, along the horizon.
一束束北极光举起了它们毫无光泽、密布在地平线上的长矛。
Throwing these into distance, rose, in the foreground, a head, a colossal head, inclined towards the iceberg, and resting against it.
在画的前景上,一个头颅赫然入目,冰山退隐到了远处,一个巨大无比的头,侧向冰山,枕在上面。
Two thin hands, joined under the forehead, and supporting it, drew up before the lower features a sable veil,
头部底下伸出一双手,支撑着它,拉起了一块黑色的面纱。
a brow quite bloodless, white as bone, and an eye hollow and fixed,
罩住下半部面孔。额头毫无血色,苍白如骨。
blank of meaning but for the glassiness of despair, alone were visible.
深陷的眼睛凝视着,除了露出绝望的木然神色,别无其他表情。
Above the temples, amidst wreathed turban folds of black drapery,
在两鬓之上,黑色缠头布的皱裥中,
vague in its character and consistency as cloud, gleamed a ring of white flame, gemmed with sparkles of a more lurid tinge.
射出了一圈如云雾般变幻莫测的白炽火焰,镶嵌着红艳艳的火星。
经典文学《简·爱》
This pale crescent was "the likeness of a kingly crown;" what it diademed was "the shape which shape had none."
这苍白的新月是"王冠的写真",为"无形之形"加冕。
"Were you happy when you painted these pictures?" asked Mr. Rochester presently.
"你创作这些画时愉快吗?"罗切斯特先生立刻问。
"I was absorbed, sir. Yes, and I was happy.
"我全神贯注,先生。是的,我很愉快。
To paint them, in short, was to enjoy one of the keenest pleasures I have ever known.
总之,画这些画无异于享受我从来没有过的最大乐趣。
"That is not saying much.
"那并不说明什么问题。
Your pleasures, by your own account, have been few.
据你自己所说,你的乐趣本来就不多。
But I daresay you did exist in a kind of artist's dreamland while you blent and arranged these strange tints.
但我猜想,你在调拌并着上这些奇怪的颜色时,肯定生活在一种艺术家的梦境之中。
Did you sit at them long each day?
你每天费很长时间坐着作这些画吗?
I had nothing else to do, because it was the vacation,
在假期里我没有别的事情可做,
and I sat at them from morning till noon, and from noon till night.
我坐着从早上画到中午,从中午画到晚上。
The length of the midsummer days favoured my inclination to apply.
仲夏白昼很长,有利于我专心致志。
"And you felt self-satisfied with the result of your ardent labours?
你对自己饱含热情的劳动成果表示满意吗?
Far from it. I was tormented by the contrast between my idea and my handiwork.
很不满意。我为自己的思想和手艺之间存在的差距而感到烦恼。
In each case I had imagined something which I was quite powerless to realise.
每次我都想象了一些东西,但却无力加以表达。
"Not quite. You have secured the shadow of your thought, but no more, probably.
"不完全如此。你己经捕捉到了你思想的影子,但也许仅此而已。
You had not enough of the artist's skill and science to give it full being,
你缺乏足够的艺术技巧和专门知识,淋漓尽致地把它表达出来。
yet the drawings are, for a school-girl, peculiar.
不过对一个女学生来说,这些画已经非同一般了。
As to the thoughts, they are elfish.
至于那些思想,倒是有些妖气。
These eyes in the Evening Star you must have seen in a dream.
金星中的眼睛你一定是在梦中看见的,
How could you make them look so clear, and yet not at all brilliant?
你怎么能够使它既那么明亮,而又不耀眼呢?
For the planet above quells their rays.
因为眼睛上端的行星淹没了它们的光。
And what meaning is that in their solemn depth?
而那庄严的眼窝又包含着什么意思?
And who taught you to paint wind?
是谁教你画风的。
There is a high gale in that sky, and on this hill-top.
天空中和山顶上都刮着大风。
Where did you see Latmos?
你在什么地方见到拉特莫斯山的?
For that is Latmos. There! Put the drawings away!
因为那确实是拉特莫斯山。嗨,把这些画拿走!
I had scarce tied the strings of the portfolio, when, looking at his watch,
我还没有把画夹上的绳子扎好,他就看了看表,
he said abruptly: "It is nine o' clock.
唐突地说:"己经九点了,
What are you about, Miss Eyre, to let Adèle sit up so long? Take her to bed."
爱小姐,你在磨蹭些啥,让阿黛勒这么老呆着?带她去睡觉吧。"
Adèle went to kiss him before quitting the room.
阿黛勒走出房间之前过去吻了吻他。
He endured the caress, but scarcely seemed to relish it more than Pilot would have done, nor so much.
他忍受了这种亲热,但似乎并没比派洛特更欣赏它,甚至还不如派洛特。
"I wish you all good-night, now," said he, making a movement of the hand towards the door,
"现在,我祝你们大家晚安,"他说,朝门方向做了个手势,
in token that he was tired of our company, and wished to dismiss us.
表示他对我们的陪伴已经感到厌烦,希望打发我们走。
Mrs. Fairfax folded up her knitting.
费尔法克斯太太收起了织物。
I took my portfolio.
我拿了画夹。
We curtseyed to him, received a frigid bow in return, and so withdrew.
我们都向他行了屈膝礼。他生硬地点了点头,算是回答,这样我们就退了出去。
来源:可可英语