生活英语口语100 话题——
2 What’s your star sign? 你的星座是什么?
1. words and expressions:词汇;
adventurous 爱冒险的;Aries 白羊座; astrologist 占星家; element 土/风/水/火;enough is enough 够了;horoscope占星术; independent 独立的; outgoing 外向活泼的;psychic 灵媒;star sign星座; Taurus 金牛座;in store 即将发生;
2. Useful sentences:句型荟萃;
A. star signs:星座
1) When’s your birthday?你什么时候过生日?
2) That makes you a Taurus,right? 你是金牛座对吗?
3) That’s my star sign. 我的星座就是这个。
4)Actually, I’m Aries, March 19th — April 20th 其实我是白羊座,在3-19到4-20之间。
B. animal sign:动物象征
5)I think they refer to us as bulls. 我觉得是把我们比成牛。
6)So, what animal are you then? 那你是什么动物呢?
7)What’s your element? 你是什么向的星座?
8)My element is Earth. 我是土向星座。
9)We’re rams. Outgoing, adventurous, independent—and trusting. 我们是公羊。开朗,爱冒险,独立——并且值得信赖。
C.horoscopes:占星术
10)Do you have a horoscope in front of you? 你在看占星术吗?
11)Do you want to hear what’s in store for you today? 你想听听你今天的运势吗?
12)I have to say I don’t really believe in horoscopes. 我得说我不是很相信占星术。
13)Do you think that could happen? 你觉得有可能吗?
14)That sounds like things that could happen. 这听着倒可能发生。
15)This one looks more like it. 这个看起来更准。
16)That’s quite a specific horoscope. 这个写得太详细了。
17) It says that one of them will write you a letter of recommendation. 这里说这些人中的一个会给你写封推荐信。
18) Aren’t they normally a bit more general, so that anyone could read it and believe it? 一般不是为了让所有读到的人都相信,会写得笼统一点吗?
3. Dialogue:
Nate: Hey, When’s your birthday? 嗨,你什么时候过生日。
Catherine: Just a few days after yours, April 21st. 在你生日后没几天,4月21日。
Nate: Yes ,of course…so let’s see, that makes you a Taurus, right?
是哦,让我想想,你是金牛座对吧?
Catherine: Yep, that’s my star sign. I think they refer to us as bulls. Same as you, right?
是的,我的星座就是这个,我觉得是把我们比成牛,你也是金牛座吧?
Nate: Actually, I’m an Aries, March 19th -April 20th. 其实我是白羊座,在3-19到4-20之间。
Catherine: So, What animal are you then…那你是什么动物呢?
Nate: We’re rams. Outgoing, adventurous, independent—and trusting. 我们是公羊。开朗,爱冒险,独立——并且值得信赖。
Catherine: What’s your element? My guess is fire— am I right? 你是什么向的星座?我猜是火向的,对吗?
Nate: Nice one, yes. And you? 真会猜,是的,你是什么?
Catherine: Earth. 我是土向的。
Nate: Do you want to hear what’s in store for you today? 你想听听你今天的运势吗?
Catherine: If you insist. I have to say I don’t really believe in horoscopes. 要是你坚持要说的话,我听听无妨,我得说我不是很相信占星术。
Nate: Ok, well just for fun then…it says that you’ll rub elbows with some very important people today. Do you think that could happen? 好吧,那就当做好玩吧…说是你今天会和某些很重要的人接触。你觉得有可能吗?
Catherine: Mmm, not really. I plan on staying in tonight and watching TV. 哦,不太可能。我今天晚上打算待在家里看电视的。
Nate: It also says that one of them will write you a letter of recommendation. 还说这些人中会有一个给你写推荐信。
Catherine: That’s quite a specific horoscope. Aren’t they normally a bit more general, so that anybody could read it and believe it? 这个写得太详细了。一般不是为了让所有读到的人都相信,会写得笼统一点吗?
Nate: Yes, a lot of them are, you’re right. It looks like the woman who writes this one is a psychic as well as an astrologist. Let’s find another one online…是的,很多是那样,你说得对。看来写这本书的女人是一个心理学家兼占星家。我们从网上再找一个吧…
Catherine: Ok, if you must…好吧,要是你非要找的话……
Nate: Ok, this one looks more like it…it says that when you’ve had enough a silly situation, you become exasperated. It also says that you will give up on something. 嗯,这个看起来更准…说是你现在受够了现在的愚蠢的处境了,你变得很恼火。还说你会放弃某些事儿。
Catherine: That sounds like things that could happen. 这听着倒可能发生。
Nate: Really? So do you think you do actually believe in astrology after all? 真的吗? 这么说你觉得你其实是相信占星术咯?
Catherine: No. 不是。
Nate: So you don’t think this is a silly situation? 你不觉得现在的处境很愚蠢?
Catherine: This is ridiculous! Have I not already explained that I think horoscopes are just made up? 这太不科学了!我没说过我觉得占星术都是编造出来的吗?
Nate: Sounds like you are feeling a bit exasperated. 听起来你有点儿恼火了啊。
Catherine: Honestly! Why are you so insistent on winding me up today? 相当恼火! 你今天为什么要这样戏弄我?
Nate: I’m sensing you’d like this conversation to end, almost like you’re giving up on this? 我感觉到你想要结束这场对话了。你好像差不多要放弃这场对话啊了。
Catherine: Enough is enough. I’m out of here! 够了,我要走了。
Nate: You know, I’m starting to think there just might be some truth in this now, myself! 你知道吗? 我开始觉得这个说的有点儿道理了。