深度生活话题;谈论家庭Talking about families
1 words:
cousin 堂表兄弟姐妹; family tree 家谱; financial support 经济上的赡养; immense庞大的; incredibly 非常地; nursing home敬老院 ; patriarchal 父权; respectable让人尊敬的 ; sibling兄弟姐妹; wear the pants执掌大权;
2 sentences:
(1)Big Family: 大家族;
1) Do you have a copy of your family tree in your house? 你家有家谱的复本吗?
2) Do you have a large extended family? 你家是个大家族吗?
3) Who wears the pants in your family? 谁在家中执掌大权吗?
4) My grandmothers are the head of the households.奶奶和姥姥是一家之主。
5)I’ve got 30 cousins on my mom’side.母亲这边我有30个表兄弟姐妹。
6) Are you very close to your cousins? 你跟表兄弟姐妹关系亲密吗?
7) My first cousins are like brothers and sisters to me.我的表兄弟姐妹和堂兄弟姐妹对我就像亲的一样。
8) I’m pretty close to the cousins that are the same age as me.我和岁数相近的兄弟姐妹们很亲密。
9) I don’t spend as much time with them as I used to.我和他们在一起的时间没有以前多了。
10) I don’t know my younger cousins as well as the older ones.我对弟弟妹妹们的了解没有对哥哥姐姐们的了解深。
(2) Biggest Change: 巨大变化
11) I think families everywhere have changed a lot. 我想全世界的家庭都有了很大的变化。
12) Families have definitely gotten smaller recently.最近,家庭规模绝对变小了。
13) In the past, three or four generations would all live together under the same roof.在过去扩散四代人一起生活在同一个屋檐下。
14) Nowadays, living in the same city as one’s relatives is becoming rare.如今在同一个城市里有亲戚变得越来越罕见了。
15) Families focus a lot more attention on their children than they used to.相比以前,家庭对孩子更加关注了。
16) Many husbands and wives can’t even afford to live in the same city any more.很多夫妻都没法儿生活在同一个城市了。
17) I think many families are starting to behave more traditionally again.
我想很多家庭又开始回归传统了。
(3)Parents:
18) Do you think you’d offer to support your parents when they get older? 你觉得等你父母岁数大了你会主动赡养他们吗?
19) I’d be happy to give my parents financial support.我乐意在经济上赡养父母。
20) I don’t think I’d be able to have them live with me. 我想不能让他们和我同住。
3 dialogues:
Denise: Have you ever seen your family tree? 你见过你们家的家谱吗?
Walter: Yes, but not since I was about ten. 见过,不过我大概十岁之后就没见过了。
Denise: Do you have one from both sides of the family? 父母双方的家谱都有吗?
Walter: Yes, we have two-one from my mom’s and one from my dad’s side of the family.是的,我们有两本,一本是我母亲家的,一本是我父亲家的。
Denise: Is there a copy of one of your family trees here? I’ve never seen one. 你这里有家谱的复本吗?
Walter: Sure, I just keep it in the front room.是的,我就把它放在前面的房间。
Denise: So, how big is your family? 那你的家族有多大?
Walter: My mom’s side of the family is pretty small——I’ve got three cousins there.我母亲一方的家族很小——我在那边只有三个表兄弟姐妹。
Denise: And how about your dad’s family? 你父亲家呢?
Walter: My dad’s family is immense. I’ve got well over forty cousins on that side of the family. 我父亲的家族非常庞大。我在那边有40多个堂兄弟姐妹。
Denise: That’s quite a large family. He must have quite a few siblings then? 好大的家族。那他肯定有不少兄弟姐妹了。
Walter: Yes, My father is one of twelve. 是的,我父亲是12个孩子中的一个。
Denise: Is he very close to his siblings? 他同兄弟姐妹之间的关系亲密吗?
Walter: He used to be, growing up, but that’s all changed.长大的过程中曾经很亲密,不过现在一切都变了。
Denise: That’s too bad. How about your cousins? Are you close to them?那太遗憾了。你的表亲和堂亲呢? 你和他们亲密吗?
Walter: I guess I’m pretty close to the cousins that are the same age as me.我想我和岁数相近的兄弟姐妹们很亲密。
Denise: That makes sense. So who wears the pants in your family? 这很有道理。那谁在家中执掌大权呢?
Walter: Oh, that’d be my dad. He is incredibly traditional. 哦,我父亲,他非常传统。
Denise: And how about in your parent’s families? 那你父母家中呢?
Walter: In both my parents’families, my grandmothers are the head of the households. 在我父母家中,奶奶和姥姥是一家之主。
Denise: Interesting, my families are exactly the opposite. My parents both had patriarchal families and my mother definitely wears the pants in our household. 有意思,我家正好相反。 我父母家都是父权家庭,而我家我妈绝对是一家之主。
Walter: That definitely was the trend when we were little, but I think many families are starting to behave more traditionally again.这绝对是我们小时候的趋势,不过我想很多家庭又开始回归传统了。
Denise: Do you think Chinese families have changed in the same way recently? 你觉得中国家庭近几年来也有这样的变化吗?
Walter: I think families everywhere have changed a lot. 我想全世界的家庭都有很大的变化。
Denise: What’s the biggest change that you’ve experienced? 你经历的最大的变化是什么?
Walter: Well, my parents and I both grew up living with our grandparents in the same house as us. But I don’t think that trend will continue in the future. You know, many husbands and wives can’t even afford to live in the same city any more. 我父母和我小时候都是和自己的祖父母在同一个屋檐下生活,不过我觉得这种趋势以后不会继续下去了。 要知道,很多夫妻都没法儿在同一个城市里生活了。
Denise: Do you think you’d offer to support your parents when they get older? 你觉得等你父母岁数大了,你会主动赡养他们吗?
Walter: Of course——as long as I can afford it, that is. 当然了,只要我养得起。
Denise: I’d be happy to give my parents financial support, but I don’t think I’d be able to have them live with me. How about you? 我乐意在经济上赡养我父母,可是我觉得不能让他们和我同住。你呢?
Walter: If they would rather live with me than go to a nursing home, then I’ll have to honor that. 要是他们想和我住在一起,不想去敬老院,我只能尊重他们的意见了。
Denise: That’s very respectable. Let’s hope they have a long and healthy life.这太让人尊敬了。让我们希望他们健康长寿吧。