Career Talent 12- Helping Each Other
1. Tips:
1). Can you just give me a ballpark figure? 能不能给我一个大概的数字.
Ballpark 指的是专供球类比赛的公园, 特别是指大型的棒球场. 例如亚特兰大勇士队 (Atlanta Braves) 的主场, Turner Field 就是一个 ballpark.
"Just give me a ballpark figure."
我只要一个大略的数字就行了.
"I'll need a ballpark of the revenue last year."
我需要去年的营收的大约数字.
2). Bottom line: We have to turn into profit by 2017. 最重要的是: 我们必须在 2017 年前转亏为盈.
bottom line, Net earnings;
"In business, If you don't take care of your customers, somebody else will. And that is the bottom line."
如果你不关心你的顾客的话, 其它的人会, 这是最重要的原则.
另外 bottom line 也有‘最后的底限’,‘不能再退让的原则’的意思.
"Bottom line: We have to ship this order by Friday."
我最后的底限是, 我们必须在星期五前运交这批货.
3). The new CFO was sent to bring the company out of the red.
这位新的财务长被派来把公司从赤字中拯救出来.
in the red/in the black
lose money /make money
unprofitable / profitable
non-profit organization
非营利组织
Non-profit ‘非营利性质的’。
2. Words:
remove 移除 ; right-click 点击右键 ; voila 瞧,看,可不是(法语);
3. Phrases:
ask sb. for a favor请求某人帮忙; figure out弄清楚 ; finish up就要完成 ; get in touch with 联系; get the program open运行程序 ; give sb. a hand帮某人一个忙 ; leave work下班 ; plan on 计划做…; point you in the right direction指明方向; scheduling software日程安排软件; set something up做个安排; take a look看一下 ; take care of照看; thanks a million太谢谢了 ; time grid时间表;
4. Useful Expressions:
请求帮助:
1 Are you really busy right now? 你这会儿忙吗?
2 Could I ask you for a favor? 你能帮我一个忙吗?
3 I need to ask you for a big favor. 我需要你帮我一个大忙。
4 I was wondering if you could help me with something. 不知你能不能帮我一个忙。
5 One of my clients left a voice mail ask me to call him back after 4:30. 有一个客户给我语音留言,说让我四点半以后给他回电话。
6 It’s the new scheduling software. I can’t figure out how to use it. 就是那个新的日程安排软件,我不知道该怎么用?
7 Oh, another thing, if I want to remove a task from the schedule, how do I do that? 哦,还有一件事。如果我想从日程中移除一项任务,该怎么办?
8 Do you think you could introduce Susan to me, or help me to get in touch with her? 你能介绍我认识苏珊吗? 或者帮我联系上她吗?
9 I’ve got it now. Thanks so much for your help! 现在我明白了。非常感谢你的帮助!
愿意帮助:
10 What can I do for you? 我能帮你做什么?
11 Sure, I ‘ll handle it for you. 当然,我会帮你搞定这件事。
12 Just let me know what you need. 需要我帮什么,你尽管说。
13 My pleasure! I’m always glad to help. 别客气!我总是乐意帮忙的。
14 I can give you a hand with that. 我可以帮你看看。
15 So do you need me to take care of some work for you? 那么你有什么工作需要我帮你做吗?
16 Let’s go over to your desk and take a look. 我们去你的工位看一下吧。
17 Sure, I can arrange something. I’ll give Susan a call and set something up. 当然,我能安排这件事。我会给苏珊去电话做个安排。
18 Here’s her email address, you can go ahead and contact her by email on your own. 这是她的邮件地址,你可以给她发邮件直接联系她。
爱莫能助:
19 I’m sorry. I probably can’t help much. 抱歉,这事我帮不了你什么。
20 You should talk to Susan. She should be able to point you in the right direction. 你应该找苏珊。她应该能给你指明方向。
21 I would be happy to help you out, but I’m planning on getting out of the office a little early today. 我愿意帮助你,但是我今天计划好了要早点走。
5. Dialogues:
Dialogue1:
Clarissa: Hey Dillon, are you really busy right now? 嘿,狄龙,你这会儿忙吗?
Dillon: Uh, I’m just finishing up a report. What’s up? 我在写一份报告,就要写完了,什么事?
Clarissa: I was wondering if you could help me with something. It’s the new scheduling software. I can’t figure out how to use it.不知你能不能帮我一个忙。就是那个新的日程安排软件,我不知道该怎么用。
Dillon: I can give you a hand with that. Let’s go over to your desk and take a look.我可以帮你看看,我们去你的工位上看一下吧。
Clarissa: Okay, here we are. So I’ve got the program open, and it’s showing a time grid for the entire month. But I just want to look at the coming week.好,这就是我的工位。我开始运行程序,它显示的是一整月的时间表,可是我只想看看接下来这一个星期的时间表。
Dillon: No problem. So you just click “View” on the menu bar, then click on “Time Period” and you’ll see ”Day”, ”Week”, ”Month ” and “Year”. Just click “Week”, like this, and voila! 没问题,那么,你只需要点击菜单栏的“查阅”按钮,然后点击“时间段”按钮,你就会看到“一天”,“一周”,“一个月”,“一年”。只要点击“一周”,就像这样,看!
Clarissa: Great! Oh, another thing, if I want to remove a task from the schedule, how do I do that?太好了,哦,还有一件事。如果我想从日程中移除一项任务,该怎么办?
Dillon: Easy. Just right-click on the item you want to remove, and click “Delete”. 那容易啊。只需要把鼠标放在你想要移除的项目上,点击右键,然后点击“删除”即可。
Clarissa: I’ve got it now. Thanks so much for your help! 现在我明白了,非常感谢你的帮助。
Dialogue 2:
Garth: Hi Carolyn, could I ask you for a favor? 你好,卡罗琳,你能帮我一个忙吗?
Carolyn: Sure, just let me know what you need. 当然可以,需要我帮什么,你尽管说。
Garth: I want to leave work early today. It’s my wife’s birthday and I want to go home and make dinner for her as a surprise. 今天我想早点下班,今天是我老婆的生日,我想早点回家,给她做一顿饭,给她一个惊喜。
Carolyn: That’s so sweet and romantic. I’m sure she’ll really appreciate it. so do you need me to take care of some work for you? 你好体贴,好浪漫啊!我相信,她一定会喜欢的!那么你有什么工作需要我帮你做吗?
Garth: Well, I managed to get most of my work done early today. But one of my clients left a voice mail asking me to call him back after 4:30. 我尽力完成了今天的大部分工作。不过有一个客户给我语音留言,说让我四点半以后给他回电话。
Carolyn: No problem, I can call him and let him know you’ll be back in the office tomorrow morning. 没问题。我可以给他打电话,告诉他明天上午你会在办公室。
Garth: Great, thanks a million! Here’s the client’s name and number. 太好了,太谢谢你了!这是那个客户的姓名和电话号码。
Carolyn: My pleasure! I’m always glad to help. 别客气,我总是乐意帮忙的。