Lesson 14 Mediateing Interpersonal Conflicts 调解人际矛盾
1. business words
agreement n 协议;
Ethical business is concluded when the parties reach a mutually beneficial agreement.
若双方达成互利协议,便由此形成商业道德。
aid n./v. 援助,帮助;
Foreign aid can be a two edged sword when it comes with pre-conditions.
如果外国援助附有前提条件,那便是双刃剑。
allege [ə'ledʒ] v. 宣称,断言。
It has been alleged that Peter should take responsibility for any problems that arise.
有人声称不管出任何问题都应该由彼得负责。
allocate ['æləkeɪt] v. 拨给,分配。
We need to make sure we allocate sufficient resources to get the job done.
我们要确保拨出足够的资源来完成这项工作。
ambiguity [æmbɪ'gjuːɪtɪ] n 模棱两可,不明确。
The ambiguity in the contract is the reason the dispute arose.
合同的模棱两可是争议发生的原因。
animation [ænɪ'meɪʃ(ə)n] n 动画;
Nearly all social networking sites now include some type of advertising, whether they are text-based ads, animated gifs, or headache-inducing flash animations.
几乎所有的社交网站都包含某种形式的广告,无论是文本广告,动画图像,还是让你头疼的flash动画。
annulment [ə'nʌlm(ə)nt] n 废除,取消。
The business had no choice but to seek an annulment of the agreement.
企业别无办法,只有探求废除协议的办法。
2. Written Business English: Useful Functional Expressions:表达意愿;Willingness
I’m really looking forward to discussing our products with you.
我很期待和您探讨我们的产品。
I expect at least $30,000 a year. 我希望一年最少挣三万美元。
I want a credit card with no annual fee. 我想办一张没有年费的信用卡。
I was hoping for a lower price. 我希望价格再低点。
I would rather come back straight after the party. 我宁愿晚会后直接回家。
I’d like to express my appreciation for everyone’s hard work. 我对每个人的辛勤工作表示感谢。
I’d like to take a course in Finance. 我想参加财务方面的课程。
We expect double-digit growth in the youth market this year. 我们预计今年年轻人消费市场将达到两位数的增长。
We hope you can see our point of view. 我们希望您能理解我们的想法。
We want to commandeer more of the market share. 我们想占有更多的市场份额。
3. Lesson 14 -Words:词汇;
argue:争吵,争论;awkward: 尴尬的;bother: 打扰;distracting: 让人分心的;hallway: 走廊;remind: 提醒;
4. Lesson 14 -Phrases: 短语;
be on the phone with sb. 与…通电话;boss sb. around 使唤某人;concentrate on 把注意力放在…;delegate a task to sb. 给某人派活;get one’s approval 得到某人批准;have a hard time hearing 很难听请…;have seniority over sb. 比某人资历深;junior accountant 初级会计;
long-term solution 长期的解决方案;lower one’s voice 降低音量;watch over sb. 监视某人;
5. Lesson 14 -Useful Expressions:
1) 询问事由:
I saw you and Annabelle arguing in the hallway earlier. 刚才我看见你和安娜贝勒在走廊里吵架。
Is everything okay between you two? 你们俩没事吧?
You mentioned you’ve been having a problem with someone in your department. 你提到过你跟你们部门里的另一位同事有问题。
2) 说明矛盾:
I can’t seem to get along with Harry. 我跟亨利有些难相处。
He’s constantly trying to get me to do his work. 他一直来找我,让我做他该做的事情。
I don’t know what her problem is. 我不知道她究竟是怎么回事。
She seems to think she’s my boss. 她好像把自己当成我的老板一样。
She still shouldn’t be bossing you around. 不过她还是不应该使唤你。
I just don’t know what to do. 我也不知道该拿她怎么办。
I’ve talked to Harry about this, and I can’t seem to get through to him. 我跟亨利讲过这件事情,但是好像和他根本说不通。
She’s always watching over me, telling me what I’m doing wrong, and she even gives me work to do. 她总是在监视我,对我的工作指手画脚,甚至还给我安排活干。
Whenever he’s on the phone with clients, he always talks in a really loud voice. 每当他给客户打电话的时候,他的说话声总是很大。
That must be quite distracting for you. 那肯定会影响你。
I’ve mentioned it a couple of times. 我跟他提过几次。
I don’t want to make things awkward between Evan and me. 我不想因为这件事情把我和埃文的关系弄得很尴尬。
3) 寻求解决办法:
Don’t worry, let me handle it. 别担心,我来解决。
Have you tried talking to Evan about this? 你和埃文沟通过这件事吗?
It’s no problem. I’m sure we can get this sorted out. 没问题,我相信我们能处理好这件事。
I’ll speak to him about this and try to find a long-term solution. 我会和他谈谈,看看能不能找到一个长期的解决方案。
Don’t worry, I won’t mention your name when I talk to him. 别担心,我和他说的时候,不会提到你的名字。
I’ll talk to her and remind her to concentrate on her own work and not to bother you.
我会和她谈谈,提醒她把注意力放在自己的工作上,别去打扰你。
6. Dialogues:
Dialogue1 :
Floyd:I saw you and Annabelle arguing in the hallway earlier. Is everything okay between you two? 刚才我看见你和安娜贝勒在走廊里吵架。你们俩没事吧?
Connie:I don’t know what her problem is. We have the same position—we’re both junior accountants—but she seems to think she’s my boss.我不知道她究竟是怎么回事。我们都是同样的职位——我们都是初级会计——可是她好像把自己当成我的老板一样。
Floyd:What do you mean? 此话怎讲?
Connie:She’s always watching over me, telling me what I’m doing wrong, and she even gives me work to do. 她总是在监视我,对我的工作指手画脚,甚至还给我安排活儿干。
Floyd:Maybe she thinks she has seniority over you since she’s been with the company longer than you have. Plus, she’s a few years older than you. But she still shouldn’t be bossing you around. 或许,她觉得她在公司的资历比你深吧,她在公司待的时间比你长,而且她也比你大几岁。不过她还是不应该使唤你。
Connie:I just don’t know what to do. 我也不知道该拿她怎么办。
Floyd:Don’t worry, let me handle it. I’ll talk to her and remind her to concentrate on her own work and not to bother you. Next time, if she tries to delegate a task to you, just tell her that she has to speak to me first and get my approval. 别担心,我来解决。我会和她谈谈,提醒她把注意力放在自己的工作上,别去打扰你。下次如果她再给你派活儿话,你就跟她说,她得先来跟我说,得先得到我的批准。
Connie:Thanks, I really appreciate that. 感谢你,非常感谢。
Dialogue2:
Dominic:Hi Natalie, could I talk to you for a minute? 你好,娜塔莉,我可以和你聊一小会儿吗?
Natalie:Sure, what’s up? 当然可以,怎么了?
Dominic:Well, you know, Evan’s desk is right across from mine. Whenever he’s on the phone with clients, he always talks in a really loud voice. 嗯,你知道的,埃文的桌子和我的桌子挨着。每当他给客户打电话的时候,他的说话声音总是很大。
Natalie:That must be quite distracting for you.那肯定会影响你。
Dominic:Yes, a little bit. But the problem is, if I happen to be on the phone at the same time as him, sometimes I have a hard time hearing my client on the other end. 是的,是有点。不过问题是,如果我打电话的时候恰好他也在打电话,那我都很难听清楚我的客户在电话里说什么?
Natalie:Have you tried talking to Evan about this? 你和埃文沟通过这件事吗?
Dominic:I’ve mentioned it a couple of times. Each time, he’ll lower his voice for a day or two, but then he seems to forget. 我跟他提过几次。每次他都是减低音量一两天,然后似乎就把这事给忘了。
Natalie:Well, I’ll speak to him about this and try to find a long-term solution. 是这样啊,我会和他谈谈,看看能不能找到一个长期的解决方案。
Dominic:Thanks. But I don’t want to make things awkward between Evan and me. 谢谢。不过我不想因为这件事情把我和埃文的关系弄得很尴尬。
Natalie:Don’t worry, I won’t mention your name when I talk to him. 别担心,我和他说的时候,不会提你的名字的。