Lesson 26 Agreeing and disagreeing 下篇;
Part Three: Business Words:
1.Hamper. V. 妨碍,束缚;
Antitrust laws prevent companies from coming together if it is determined that market competition will be significantly hampered by the union.
如果一项公司合并被相关协会确定为极大地阻碍了市场竞争,那么垄断法便会阻止此次合并。
2.Hazardous adj 危险的,有害的;
A good occupational safety program aims to minimize the hazardous risks associated with the workplace.
良好的职业安全规划旨在将工厂的危险降到最低。
3.hedge v 避免正面回答,拐弯抹角;
Most importers and exporters tend to hedge the risk related to currency fluctuations between the sale and delivery.
大多数进出口生意人都愿意规避与销售和运输间的货币波动有关的风险。
4.hierarchical adj 按等级划分的,等级制度的;
The vast majority of business are hierarchical in structure, and operate from the top down.
商业结构大部分都按照等级划分,并且自上而下进行运营。
5.Impasse n 绝境,僵局;
The board meeting was at a complete impasse, and the chairman could not reconcile the conflicting opinions.
董事会会议完全陷入了僵局,主席也不能调节这些意见上的冲突。
6 implement v 执行,实施。
The costing to implement the expansion was completed, and all that remained was to find the funding.
项目扩展的成本预算已经完成,剩余的事情就是筹款。
7 implicitly adv 含蓄地,暗中地;
Money laundering is illegal, and whether individuals knowingly or implicitly engage in such practices, they may be subject to punishment.
洗钱是非法的,而且无论人们是蓄意的还是暗中从事这种行为,他们都可能会受到惩罚。
Part Three: Lesson 26 Agreeing and disagreeing
1.Words:
Barely 几乎;current 目前的;discount 折扣; perk福利;rebrand 重树品牌;重新包装;recruit招聘;redo重新做;refresh重新树立;retain留住;share股份;signage 商标;switch 交换;talented 有天赋的;
2.Phrases:
Be aware of意识到; come up with想出来;cash flow资金流;corporate membership 公司会员卡;free memberships 免费会员卡;give it some thought 考虑了一下;give out 发放;high-quality高质量的; make a profit 盈利;no pain, no gain. 没有付出,没有回报;significant discount; 优惠折扣;
3.Useful Expressions:
(1)提议;
1.I’ve given it some thought.
我考虑了一下。
2.I’ve been thinking that maybe it’s time to change our store’s name. 我一直在考虑,或许我们现在应该改改我们的店名了。
3.One thing I came up with is for us to give out free gym memberships to all our full time staff. 一个办法就是给所有的全职员工发放免费的健身会员卡。
4.I just think “ Pete’s Pet Store” sounds a bit boring. Besides, Pete sold his share of the company to us over a year ago.
我觉得,皮特宠物店听上去没有多少新意,而且早在一年多以前皮特就把他在这家公司的股份卖给我们了。
(2)赞成;
5.I guess we can afford that. 我想这钱我们支付得起。
6.Ok,that sounds like a plan. 好,这计划听起来不错。
7.I whole-heartedly agree. So what are our opinions? 我完全同意你的看法。那么我们怎么做?
8.You’re right. Besides, that wouldn’t cost a lot of money. 你说得对。再说,这花不了多少钱。
9.So we agree that we will put an end to this current website project. 那么我们同意结束现在的这个网站项目。
10.And like you said, offering these kinds of perks will help us recruit and retain high-quality workers. 就像你刚才说的,提供这样的福利有助于我们招聘并留住高质量的员工。
(3)反对和质疑;
11.What’s wrong with the current name? 现在的店名有什么不好?
12.Change isn’t always a bad thing though. 可是改变也不一定是坏事呀。
13.I just don’t think now’s the right time. 我觉得现在不是做这件事的好时机。
14.I’m going to have to disagree with you there. 我可不这么认为。
15.Finances are pretty tight and we’re barely making a profit as it is. 我们的生意很紧张,现在几乎都没有什么利润呢。
16.I’m afraid there’s been a slight misunderstanding there. 恐怕是有点小误解。
17.Let’s see how we’re doing by the end of the year. 看看到年底我们的经营状况再说吧。
18.Let me put that another way. I don’t believe that this idea is good one. 换句话说就是,我认为这个想法不是很好。
19.If we can improve our cash flow, then maybe we can consider that. 如果那时候我们的资金流有所改善,或许可以考虑这个计划。
4.Dialogues:
Dialogue 1:
Beth: Walter,I’ve been thinking that maybe it’s time to change our store’s name. Beth: Walter,我一直在考虑,或许我们现在应该改改我们的店名了。
Walter:What’s wrong with the current name?
Walter: 现在的店名有什么不好?
Beth:I just think “ Pete’s Pet Store” sounds a bit boring. Besides, Pete sold his share of the company to us over a year ago.
Beth: 我觉得,皮特宠物店听上去没有多少新意,而且早在一年多以前皮特就把他在这家公司的股份卖给我们了。
Walter: But all our customers know us by that name. If we switched to a new name, we’d have to spend a ton of money on advertising and rebranding. Plus, we would need to redesign our logo, get new signage, redo the website…
Walter: 但是我们的所有的顾客都是冲着这个店名来的,要是我们改了店名,就得花很多钱去做广告,打品牌。而且我们还需要重新设计标识,做新商标,重新设计网站。
Beth: Change isn’t always a bad thing though. A new name could help refresh the store’s image and attract new customers.
Beth: 可是改变也不一定是坏事呀。新的店名可以帮助我们重新树立我们店的形象,也可以吸引新的顾客。
Walter: I just don’t think now’s the right time. Finances are pretty tight and we’re barely making a profit as it is.
Walter: 我觉得现在不是做这件事的好时机。我们的生意很紧张,现在几乎都没有什么利润呢。
Beth:I’m aware of our financial situation. But as the saying goes, “no pain, no gain.”
Beth:我们资金紧张,这点我意识到了,不过俗话说: 没有付出,就没有回报。
Walter: Let’s see how we’re doing by the end of the year. If we can improve our cash flow, then maybe we can consider making some marketing changes.
Walter: 看看我们年底的经营状况再说吧,如果那时候我们的资金流有所改善,或许可以考虑在营销方面做些改变。
Dialogue 2:
Diane:Laura,do you remember last week when we were talking about ways to attract more talented employees?I’ve given it some thought, and one thing I came up with is for us to give out free gym memberships to all our full-time staff.
Diane: 劳拉,你还记得上星期我们聊起如何吸引更多人才的事吗?我考虑了一下,一个办法就是给所有全职员工发放免费的健身会员卡。
Laura:Wouldn’t that cost a lot of money?
Laura:那样会不会开销很大?
Diane:Not necessarily. I spoke with Greg Watson。the manager of “Greg’s Gym”, just down the block from our office. They’re willing to give us a significant discount on a corporate membership.
Diane: 不一定。 我和格雷格.沃森聊过,就在公司旁边那个街区有个格雷格健身房,他们愿意以很优惠的折扣给我们办公司的会员卡。
Laura:How much of a discount? 折扣是多少?
Diane:We could get a corporate membership for only $200 a month. That works out to about $20 per employee, which is more than 50 percent off the usual fee.
Diane: 我们每月只要花200美元就可以获得公司会员资格,也就是给每个员工交大约20美元,这比平时的价格便宜一半。
Laura:I guess we can afford that. And like you said, offering these kinds of perks will help us recruit and retain high-quality workers.
Laura: 我想,这钱我们支付得起。就像你刚才说的,提供这样的福利有助于我们招聘并留住高质量的员工。
Diane:Exactly.
Diane:没错。