S1E4
What do you want?
你要干嘛?
I’ve got a message for Lady Sybil. From her ladyship.
我来给西坡小姐送个信儿。是夫人的信儿。
Thank you, O’Brien. I’ll manage now.
谢谢你奥布瑞恩,我这没事。
Odious woman. What does Mama want?
讨厌的女人。妈妈要我做什么?
I just said that to get rid of her. This came today.
我那么说只是想把她支走。这封信是今天来的。
I knew they would want to see you.
我知道他们会想见你。
Well, it’s your reference what’s done it.
还不是亏了您的推荐信吗。
But how am I going to get there? They won’t let me take a day off.
可我要怎么去呀?他们不会准我放一天假的。
You’re going to be ill. They can’t stop you being ill.
就说你病了。他们没辙吧。
What?
什么?
No one has seen Anna for a whole day. They won’t notice if you vanish for a couple of hours.
大家一整天都见不到安娜。你就消失几小时他们不会发现的。
The only one who never sticks up for me in all this is you. Why is that?
这次的事,只有你从没有为我撑腰。为什么?
You are my darling daughter and I love you.
你是我的宝贝女儿,我爱你。
Hard as it is for an Englishman to say the words.
虽然作为英国人,这话不好出口。
Well, then…
那倒是
If I had made my own fortune and bought Downton for myself, it should be yours without question, but I did not.
如果我自己挣钱,买下唐顿庄园,那自然是留给你的,毫无争议,但不是那样的。
My fortune is the work of others, who labored to build a great dynasty.
我的财产来自先人,他们辛苦耕耘,留下这份家业。
Do I have the right to destroy their work? Or impoverish that dynasty?
我哪有权力毁掉他们创造的一切,或是让这份家业沉沦?
I am a custodian, my dear, not an owner.
我只是带其经营,亲爱的,并非拥有者。
I must strive to be worthy of the task I have been set.
我必须肩负起使命。
If I could take your Mama’s money out of the estate, Downton would have to be sold to pay for it.
想要从庄园抽离出你母亲的财产,就得变卖唐顿来偿还。
Is that what you want?
那是你想要的吗?
To see Matthew a landless peer with a title but no means to pay for it?
让马修变成个空有头衔却一无所有的贵族吗?
So I’m to just find a husband and get out of the way?
那我只是嫁人让道的份吗?
You could stay here if you married Matthew.
嫁给马修,你还能留在这。
You know my character, Father.
你知道我性格的爸爸。
I never marry any man that I was told to.
我从不嫁给一个强加给我的男人。
I’m stubborn. I wish I wasn’t, but I am.
我也不想倔强,但我生来如此。