Anna: Hello, from Washington, D.C.!Today at work I am reading the news for the first time. I am really nervous.But my boss, Ms. Weaver, is here to help me.
Anna: Hi, there! Washington, D.C. is a great place to work. Many people here work in government and politics. But there are many other jobs. You can work at a hospital; a university. You can work in a coffee shop. Wait a minute, I think I see a friend of mine. Pete? Is that you?
安娜:大家好!华盛顿这个城市非常适合工作。这儿许多人都在政府中工作。但那还有很多别的类型的工作。你可以在医院中工作,或在大学中工作。你能在咖啡店工作。等等,我好像看到我的一个朋友了。皮特,是你吗?
Pete: Hi, Anna.
皮特:嗨,安娜。
Anna: You look different. Your beard ...is really big.
安娜:你看起来有点不一样。你的胡子...好多。
Pete: You don't like it, do you?
皮特:你不喜欢吗?
Anna: No, no. You just look ...different.
安娜:我喜欢,你只是看起来不同了...
(To server) Thank you. So, what's wrong?You look sad.
(对服务员说)谢谢。那么,怎么了?你看起来不开心。
Pete: I don't have a job.
皮特:我没有工作。
Anna: Sorry, I can't hear you.
安娜:对不起,我没听见。
Pete: I do not have a job!
皮特:我没有工作!
Anna: Oh. I'm sorry to hear that, Pete.
安娜:噢,这太糟糕了,皮特。
Pete: I don't have a skill.
皮特:我没有一技之长。
Anna: Everyone has a skill. You need to find yours.
安娜:每个人都有长处,你应该找到你的长处。
Pete: I don't know, Anna.
皮特:我不知道,安娜。
Anna: Pete, I am good at asking questions. Let me ask you some.
安娜:皮特,我擅长问问题,让我问你几个问题。
Pete: Really, Anna? Can you help me?
皮特:真的吗,安娜,你能帮我吗?
Anna: Yes, I can. Let me help.
安娜:是的,我可以。让我帮你吧。
Pete: Sure, Anna. Maybe you can help.
皮特:好的,安娜。也许你能帮我。
Anna: Can you write code?
安娜:你会写代码吗?
Pete: Sure, c-o-l-d. How is this going to help?
皮特:当然,c-o-l-d.这有什么用呢?
Anna: No, not "cold." Code;you know, for making phone apps, or web sites. You can make tons of money writing code.
安娜:不是的,不是“cold”,你知道代码吗,用来制作手机软件或者是制作网页的,写代码可以赚非常多钱。
Pete: Tons of money? But I can't code.
皮特:非常多钱?可是我不知道怎么做代码。
Anna: Next question. Can you drive?
安娜:下一个问题。你会开车吗?
Pete: Do you mean drive a race car? It's really hard to be a race car driver. First, you need a race car ...
皮特:你的意思是赛车?成为赛车手非常的难。首先,你得有一辆赛车...
Anna: No, I mean drive a taxi or drive a bus.
安娜:不是的,我的意思是开出租车或是巴士。
Pete: No, I always fall asleep when I drive.
皮特:不行,我开巴士时总是睡着。
Anna: Oh, that's not good. Next question. Can you teach? You can be a teacher in a school.
安娜:噢,那样不好。下一个问题,你会教书吗?你能在学校当老师。
Pete: No, I can not teach.
皮特:不会,我不会教书。
Anna: Can you cook? You can be a chef in a restaurant.
安娜:你会做饭吗?你可以在餐厅当厨师。
Pete: No, I can't code! I can't teach! I can't cook! Anna, I can't do anything. This is sad. I'm gonna write about my feelings in my blog.
皮特:不会,我不会写代码!不会教书!不会做饭!安娜,我什么都不会。这真是太令人难过了。我要把我的心情写在博客上。
Anna: You write a blog?
安娜:你会写博客?
Pete: Yeah, I write a blog.
皮特:是的,我写博客。
Anna: How many followers do you have?
安娜:你有多少粉丝?
Pete: I don't know ... 59,538.
我不知道...59538.
Anna: Pete, that's a lot of followers!You can make money writing!
皮特,你有这么多粉丝!你可是写作挣钱了!
Pete: Writing is easy. Everyone can write.
写作很简单,每个人都能写。
Anna: Not everyone can write well. You can be a writer!
不是每个人都能写得好。你可以成为一名作家!
Pete: I can be a writer. I can be a writer! I can be a writer! Thanks, Anna.
我能成为一名作家!我能成为一名作家!我能成为一名作家!谢谢你,安娜。
Marsha: Hi, Pete. Hi, Anna.
嗨,皮特。嗨,安娜。
Pete: Hi, Marsha. Excuse me, I have to go.
嗨,玛莎。不好意思,我得先走了。
Marsha: Where are you going?
你去哪?
Pete: I'm going to be a writer!
我要成为一名作家!
Marsha: Good luck, Pete!
祝你好运,皮特!
(To Anna) He does know that it's not easy to be a writer, doesn't he?
(对安娜说)他不知道成为一名作家是不容易的吧,他知道吗?
Anna: There are many different jobs you can have in Washington, D.C. Pete wants to be a writer. I wish him luck. Lots of luck. Until next time!
在华盛顿有许多不同的工作任你选择。皮特选择成为一名作家。我祝他好运,好友连连。下次见。