I was in college and was sleeping deeply in my dorm room bed after a rough day of classes.
那时我还在读大学,有一天,我正在寝室里沉睡。这一天的课程非常煎熬。
Suddenly,I heard the door open and light from the hallway streamed in.
忽然,我听到门开了,走廊上的灯光射进来。
My best friend and roommate was standing there unsteadily.
我最好的朋友兼室友神情不安的站在那里。
His girlfriend had broken up with him earlier that day and he had spent the evening downtown in a bar,trying to drown his sorrows with 13 whiskey sours.
就在这一天早些的时候,他的女朋友跟他分手了。这整个夜晚他都呆在市中心的一家酒吧里。为了借酒浇愁,一连灌下了13杯威士忌酸酒。
I got up and helped him to climb up into the bunk bed above me.
我从床上爬起来,帮助他回到高低双人床上,他就睡在我的上铺。
He didn’t look so good.
他看起来不太好。
His face was whiter than normal and he could barely walk.
脸色比平时更加苍白,几乎无法正常走路。
After fending off some idiots on our floor who tried to get him to go back downtown for more drinking,I finally got him to lay down.
我赶走了同一楼层的几个傻瓜,他们想劝他再回市中心多喝几杯酒,我终于让他躺下来。
After a minute,he said he was going to be sick.
一分钟之后,他说自己想要吐了。
I managed to get him to the bathroom down the hall but he couldn’t throw up.
我带他来到在走廊另一头的洗手间,他却吐不出来了。
I walked him slowly back to bed and got him into the top bunk again.
我扶着他慢慢走回寝室,又扶着他爬到了上铺。
I was just about to drift back off to sleep,when I heard it:retching followed by 13 whiskey sours splashing on his sheets.
当我正准备转身回去睡觉的时候,我听到了:13杯威士忌全吐了出来,然后是干呕的声音,还有呕吐物溅在他床单上的声音。
I got him off the bed again,stripped his sheets,and helped him back up once more.
我再次把他从床上拖起来,扯下他的床单,再扶他上床。
I was wary of another splash down but soon I heard his gentle snoring.
我在底下留神听着他再次呕吐的声音,但是很快,我听到了他均匀的打呼声。
I couldn’t really be mad at him, though.
尽管如此,我却无法对他生气。
After all,he just wanted what we all wanted: “To be Loved.”
毕竟,他想要的只是我们都想要的:被一个人爱。
Over the decades that followed,I started to realize a few things too.
在随后的几十年中,我也开始意识到一些事。
I learned that the best way to be loved was to be loving.
我学会了:想要被爱,最好的方式就是先给与爱。
And I learned that the best way to be loving was to realize that you were already loved.
我也学会了:给与爱最好的方式,就是清楚的意识到,你已经是被爱的人了。
Open your life and let your love out.
敞开里的怀抱,释放自己的爱。
The greatest gift we can ever get is to be loved and the greatest gift we can ever give is to be loving.
我们能得到的最好的礼物就是被爱;我们能给出的最好的礼物就是给与爱。
And the truth is,they are one and the same.
事实上,爱与被爱本就同一,本就是同一件事。