sit 通常是“坐” 或者“位于”的意思
Where do I sit?
我坐哪呢?
You can sit over there.
你可以坐那里。
The temple sits on a hill.
寺庙座落在山上。
日常生活常用的有
babysit = look after = to take care of children while their parents are away for a short time (临时代外出的父母)照顾(小孩)
I promised to babysit for her.
我答应了她临时照看孩子。
babysitter (临时)保姆
It can be difficult to find a good babysitter.
可能难以找到一个好的临时保姆。
sit tight 留在原地不动
Just sit tight. I'll be there in five minutes.
待着别动。我五分钟后回来。
sit for a test = take an examination 参加(考试)
I will sit for the TOEFL test next month.
我下个月会参见托福考试。
Phrasal Verbs
1. sit around = relax sitting 无所事事 (舒服地坐在椅子上)
They sat around the campfire for hours
他们在营火旁坐了几个小时。
Don't just sit around!Get moving!
别一直干坐着,动一下。
2. sit back = relax 休息
乘坐飞机时最常听到地话就是sit back,“放松地坐在椅子上休息” 的意思。
Sit back and relax
休息一会儿,放松一下。
Now you can just sit back and enjoy yourself reading.
现在你可以轻松坐下享受阅读了。
3. sit down = to take a seat 坐下 (反:stand up)
Please,sit down。
请坐。
Do you mind if I sit down?
你介意我坐下来吗?
4. sit up (使)坐直
Sit up,and listen to me.
坐直身子听我说。
sit up = stay up late 熬夜
We sat up drinking and talking .
我们熬夜喝酒聊天了。
[口语]sit up 大吃一惊,感兴趣
We all sat up when the holiday was announced.
宣布假期后我们都大吃一惊。