第438期
Gatsby believed in the green light
盖次比信奉的那盏绿灯,
The orgastic future the year by year recedes before us
是年复一年在我们眼前渐渐消失的极乐未来。
It eluded us then, but that's no matter
我们始终追它不上,但没有关系
Tomorrow we will run faster
明天我们会跑得更快,
Stretch out our arms farther and one fine morning
把手伸得更长, 等到某个美好的早晨
So we beat on
于是我们奋力前进
Boats against the current
却如同逆水行舟
Borne back ceaselessly into the past
注定要不停地退回过去。
One
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice.
在我年纪还轻、世故不深的时候...我父亲曾教训我一句话。
"Always try to see the best in people." he would say.
他说“总要把人往最好的方面想”。
As a consequence, I'm inclined to reserve all judgments.
由此,我一生待人接物宁可采取保留的态度。
But even I have a limit.
但是即便我也是有限度的。
Back then, all of us drank too much.
彼时,我们所有人都沉溺于杯中物。
The more in tune with the times we were the more we drank.
我们越想跟着这个时代我们就越纵情沉醉。
And none of us contributed anything new.
我们当中任何人也没创造出什么新的价值。
Two
Life is something you dominate ,If you're any good.
只要你足够优秀,人生由你主宰。
All the bright, precious things fade so fast. And they don't come back.
所以美好珍贵的事物总是消失得太快。一去不复返。
Three
High over the city, our yellow windows must have contributed their share of human secrets to the casual watcher in the street.
我们这排灯火辉煌的窗户高高在这都市之上,不知蕴藏着何等人生的秘密。
And I was him too looking up and wondering.
而我脑海中也见到这么一位过客偶尔路过此地,抬头望望,不知所以。
I was within and without enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life.
我自己似乎又在里边又在外边。对这幕人生悲喜剧无穷的演变,又是陶醉又是恶心。
Four
His smile was one of those rare smiles that you may come across four or five times in life.
他那种笑容是你一辈子也难得遇见四五次的。
It seemed to understand you and believe in you just as you would like to be understood and believed in.
他这一笑向你表示他了解你,相信你,并且如同你心里正想的那般。
Five
We can't lose each other. And let all this glorious love into nothing.
我们无法失去彼此,就让这段美好的爱情无疾而终吧...
Come home. I'll be here waiting and hoping, for every long dream of you to come true.
快回来,我在这儿怀着期望等待,望每个有你的梦都能成真。
Six
He knew his mind would never again be free to romp like the mind of God.
他知道他的意志再也不会无拘无束地驰骋天空了。
Seven
I remembered how we had all come to Gatsby's and guessed at his corruption while he stood before us concealing an incorruptible dream.
我忆起我初次去他家的情形 我们一个个都在揣想他的背景是多么龌龊 而他本人站在我们面前 心里蕴藏着他纯洁的梦。
The moon rose higher. And as I stood there, brooding on the old, unknown world. I thought of Gatsby's wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy's dock.
夜幕渐渐降临。我站在那儿,一面思潮回到那古老、未知的世界。一面想到盖茨比第一次认出对岸黛西那盏绿灯的时候一定也有同等的惊奇。
He had come such a long way. And his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it.
他好不容易历尽甘苦。他的梦想似乎近在眼前,一伸手就可以掌握。
But he did not know that it was already behind him.
他所不知道的是他所追求的早已丢在了背后。
主播介绍
熊叔:毕业于上海外国语大学,英语名师,公众号:熊叔英语
文章,音乐,图片非商业用途,版权归作者或版权方所有
我们生活在世界各地,从事不同职业,利用业余时间做节目。为保证品质,至少每周三更新1期新节目。