1.Catch如意伴侣;理想的雇员
be a catch 值得追求的人,宜婚对象
John is taking me out tonight. He’s such a catch, I hope he’ll propose.
约翰今晚带我出去了。他是个靠谱的结婚对象,我希望他能向我求婚。
I was so in love with him and all my friends said what a good catch he was.
我当时和他陷入热恋,我的朋友们都说能找到他是我的福气。
2.catch 隐情,猫腻
—It's your money. You deserve it.这钱归你,你该拿这个钱。
— What's the catch?搞什么名堂?
A: I'll do that for you. 我帮你干那件事
B: What's the catch? 想求我干什么? (对我这么好)
3.Be a match for someone可与某人匹敌,是某人的对手
Be no match for 比不上,不可与…同日而语
(两人很般配:They ‘re a good match.不般配叫做mismatch. A mismatched couple配错对的一对; a match made in heaven天造地设的一对,They ‘re a match made in heaven.)
4.fix sb up (with sth)为某人安排...(sb为代词时都放中间)
(B)Did they receive you well?(他们有没有好好招待你?)
-Yes. They _____ in a good hotel.(他们为我们安排到了一个很好的宾馆。)
A. fixed up us B. fixed us up C. gave us up D. put up us
叫别人给你介绍对象可以说,"Can you fix me up with someone?"
5. cut sb some slack 给(某人)方便;对(某人)网开一面
- Andrew's late again.
- Cut him some slack - his wife's just had a baby."
- 对他就网开一面吧——他妻子刚生小孩。”
I know you’ve been through a lot, so I’m willing to cut you some slack here. But, don’t you yell at me again, okay? Enough is enough. (我知道你最近不好受,所以我愿意放你一马。但是,以后别再对着我大吼大叫了!适可而止,别太过分。)
6.go the extra mile 付出比别人期望中还要大的努力
He's a nice guy, always ready to go the extra mile for his friends.
他是个好人,帮助朋友从来不怕麻烦。
A: Nobody will ever believe anything I say again.
A: 不会有人再相信我所说的任何话了!
B: In that case, you have to go the extra mile to prove your credibility.
B: 如果是这样的话, 你就得多作一点, 来证明你的可信度啰。