75. Think Before You Speak 三思而后言
Sometimes we say things without thinking.
有时候我们说话没有经过思考。
Very often a thoughtless remark may hurt others' feelings or cause a misunderstanding or an embarrassment.
一段欠缺思考的话往往会伤害到别人的感情,或会造成误会甚至尴尬的情况。
We must, therefore, always think before we speak.
因此,我们说话前必须先思考。
Once I told an old friend how beautiful his girlfriend looked when I saw them together at a movie theater the other day.
有一次我告诉一位老朋友我前几天在电影院看到他们在一块儿,而他的女朋友看起来美极了。
Unfortunately, I made a mistake.
很不幸,我弄错了。
It happened that she wasn't with my friend. She was with someone else.
恰巧她不是跟我朋友在一起,她是跟别人。
I had let the cat out of the bag, so to speak.
我可以说是无意中泄露了秘密。
I'd never been so embarrassed in my life.
我这辈子从来没有那么尴尬过。
I certainly learned my lesson, but at a very high price.
我的确学到了教训,但是付出了很大地代价。
His girlfriend never spoke to me again!
他的女朋友再也没有跟我讲过话。
And to make matters worse, it is rumored that they eventually broke up.
更糟的是,谣传他们最终分手了。