朋友们,你们好!这里是《邂逅诗歌》,我是主播玉文。最近不知道是怎么回事,记性特别不好,经常忘东忘西。临床表现为:上课记笔记跟不上老师思路,在某个地方不知道自己该干什么等等,寻求一些诗歌大家的帮助之后,我发现,可能是由于时间的流逝导致衰老和失忆,而快节奏的生活步伐也加速了人的失忆和衰老。米兰•昆德拉如是说:“a secret bond between slowness and memory, between speed and forgetting.”所以本期的《邂逅诗歌》和大家分享两首Billy Collins的有关于记忆的诗歌,希望大家能从中得到启发。
第一首是名为《失忆》的诗作,柯林斯主要从失忆的不同方面阐述,表现出人类的记忆会随时间的流逝消亡,并引起读者对失忆这件事的思考。
Forgetfulness
失忆
The name of the author is the first to go
第一个离去的是作者的名字,
followed obediently by the title, the plot,
忠顺地随之而去的是书名、情节、
the heartbreaking conclusion, the entire novel
伤心的结局以及整本小说,
which suddenly becomes one you have never read,
它忽然间变成了你从未读过的,
never even heard of,
甚至连听都没听说过,
as if, one by one, the memories you used to harbor
仿佛是,你一向揣着的记忆
decided to retire to the southern hemisphere of the brain,
已决心--隐退,到大脑的南半球
to a little fishing village where there are no phones.
一个小渔村,而那里没有电话。
Long ago you kissed the names of the nine Muses goodbye
你早已吻别了九位缪斯的名字,
and watched the quadratic equation pack its bag,
并且看着二次方程式打行李包,
and even now as you memorize the order of the planets,
即便此刻,当你背着行星的次序,
something else is slipping away, a state flower perhaps,
另一些东西正在溜走,如某州的州花,
the address of an uncle, the capital of Paraguay.
一位叔叔的地址,巴拉圭的首都。
Whatever it is you are struggling to remember,
不论你努力想回忆什么,
it is not poised on the tip of your tongue,
它都不呆在你的舌尖上,
not even lurking in some obscure corner of your spleen.
甚至也不藏在你脾胃的隐秘角落。
It has floated away down a dark mythological river
它已顺着一条黑暗的神话河流飘逝,
whose name begins with an L as far as you can recall,
那条河流的名字你只记得是“L”起头。
well on your own way to oblivion where you will join those
沿着失忆之路你已经走得挺远了,
who have even forgotten how to swim and how to ride a bicycle.
差不多该忘掉该如何游泳如何骑车了。
No wonder you rise in the middle of the night
难怪你会半夜里爬起来,
to look up the date of a famous battle in a book on war.
翻书去查一次著名战役发生在哪一年;
No wonder the moon in the window seems to have drifted
难怪那窗口的月亮像是从一首
out of a love poem that you used to know by heart.
你本来熟烂于心的爱情诗里溜出来的。
接下来这首《反复诵读》呢,讲的是爱人之间的关系,作者用了好几对隐喻来指代这种浪漫的关系,令我们心驰神往。
Litany
反复诵读
You are the bread and the knife,
你是面包和餐刀
The crystal goblet and the wine...
水晶高脚杯和葡萄酒……
-Jacques Crickillon
You are the bread and the knife,
你是面包和餐刀,
the crystal goblet and the wine.
水晶高脚杯和葡萄酒……
You are the dew on the morning grass
你是青草上的晨露
and the burning wheel of the sun.
和太阳的火轮。
You are the white apron of the baker,
你是面包师的白围裙,
and the marsh birds suddenly in flight.
和沼地鸟群骤然飞腾。
However, you are not the wind in the orchard,
然而,你不是果园的风,
the plums on the counter,
上柜的李子,
or the house of cards.
或者纸牌屋子。
And you are certainly not the pine-scented air.
并且你当然不是松柏芬芳的气息。
There is just no way that you are the pine-scented air.
完全没可能你是松柏芬芳的气息。
It is possible that you are the fish under the bridge,
也许你是桥下的鱼,
maybe even the pigeon on the general's head,
或者甚至是将军头上的鸽子
but you are not even close
但你甚至不曾近似
to being the field of cornflowers at dusk.
薄暮田野里的矢车菊。
And a quick look in the mirror will show
对着镜子的匆匆一瞥
that you are neither the boots in the corner
显示你既不是街角的擦靴人
nor the boat asleep in its boathouse.
也不是船库沉睡的轮船。
It might interest you to know,
那或许使你兴趣盎然地发现,
speaking of the plentiful imagery of the world,
在意象丰富的世界里,
that I am the sound of rain on the roof.
我是雨滴在屋顶的声音。
I also happen to be the shooting star,
我还碰巧是一颗流星,
the evening paper blowing down an alley
是小巷里吹落的晚报
and the basket of chestnuts on the kitchen table.
和厨房桌子上的一篮栗子。
I am also the moon in the trees
我还是透过树梢的月亮
and the blind woman's tea cup.
和那盲眼妇人的茶杯。
But don't worry, I'm not the bread and the knife.
不过不要担心,我不是面包和餐刀,
You are still the bread and the knife.
你依然是面包和餐刀。
You will always be the bread and the knife,
你一直是面包和餐刀,
not to mention the crystal goblet and--somehow--the wine.
毋庸提及水晶高脚杯和-随便什么-葡萄酒。
好了,今天的《邂逅诗歌》在这里就要和朋友们说再见了!我们下期再见!