Don't waste your time living someone else's life.
There are many kinds of panic.
恐慌有很多种。
And one of them is moral panic.
而其中最可怕的之一就是道德恐慌。
Moral panic is defined as public anxiety or alarm in response to a perceived threat to the moral standard of the society.
所谓的道德恐慌指的是:当一个社会的道德规范感受到一个可见的威胁时,人们对这个威胁表现出的公开不安和警惕。
The road to moral panic has several stops.
通往道德恐慌的道路上有很多站。
The first is concern.
其中的第一站就是“担忧”。
This concern spreads from person to person, and is amplified by cultural forces until rational concern becomes irrational fear.
这种担忧会从一个人传给另一个人,并且会被文化力量增幅放大,直到最终理性的担忧变成了非理性的恐惧。
People come to believe something terrible is happening. Something they cannot see. Something they cannot control.
然后人们就会开始相信,有什么可怕的事情正在发生。这是一种他们看不见的东西。这是一种他们无法控制的东西。
It has come for others. It will come for them.
这个东西已经发生在别人身上了。而它总有一天会发生在我们自己身上。
The result of this can be very dangerous because, whether or not the threat is real, the response certainly is.
这种现象的结果可能会很危险,因为,不管那个威胁是真是假,人们采取的应对行为显然都是真的。
And it is often excessive.
而且这些应对行为常常是过激的。
For example, you may know the disastrous witch-hunt in the Western history.
比如,你可能知道西方历史里那段灾难性的“女巫狩猎”运动。
Too many innocent people died in it.
有太多的无辜的人因它而死。
So ask yourself: What's more terrifying? Fear? Or the frightened?
所以,问问你自己吧:到底什么更可怕?是恐惧本身?还是那些感到恐惧的人?
Truly happy and successful people get that way by becoming the best, most genuine version of themselves they can be. Not on the outside--on the inside.
真正快乐成功的人会长成最好最真实的自己——从内心而非外表上。
It's not about a brand, a reputation, a persona. It's about reality. Who you really are.
重要的不是品牌、名誉或者外表形象,而是真实的自我。
Sounds simple, I know. It is a simple concept.
道理很简单,讲出来也很容易。
The problem is, it's very hard to do, it takes a lot of work, and it can take a lifetime to figure it out.
但问题是,做起来就不简单了:这需要付诸很多努力,甚或一辈子才能实现。
Nothing worth doing in life is ever easy. If you want to do great work, it's going to take a lot of hard work to do it.
需要穷尽毕生精力的事情必定不容易。成大事者必先苦其心志。
And you're going to have to break out of your comfort zone and take some chances that will scare the crap out of you.
因此,你必须走出舒适区,去经历、去体验那些会让你害怕的机会。
But you know, I can't think of a better way to spend your life. I mean, what's life for if not finding yourself and trying to become the best, most genuine version of you that you can be?
况且,人这一辈子,若到头来都认不清自己、未能长成最好最真实的自己,还有什么意义呢?
That's what Steve Jobs meant when he said this at a Stanford University commencement speech:
正如史蒂夫-乔布斯在斯坦福大学的毕业典礼上所言:
Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life.
时间宝贵,不要虚掷光阴过着他人的生活。
Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice.
不要让周遭的聒噪言论蒙蔽你内心的声音。
You have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future.
你要相信,生活中的偶然冥冥中也能指引未来。
You have to trust in something--your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever.
你要心怀信念——相信你的直觉、命运、生活抑或因缘。
This approach has never let me down, and it has made all the difference in my life.
这个方法一直给我力量,促使我过得卓然不同。
The only way to do great work is to love what you do.
成大事的唯一途径就是做自己喜欢的事情。
If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle.
若你还没找到,那就继续追寻吧,不要停下来。
Getting to know yourself will make you feel more comfortable in your own skin. It will reduce your stress and anxiety. It will make you a better spouse, a better parent, a better friend. It will make you a better person.
了解自己后会让你更愉悦地接受自己,减轻你的压力和焦虑,使你成为更好的伴侣、父母、朋友,让你成为一个更美好的人。
You pay a huge price when you engage in mindless distraction.
盲目分心的代价很大。
The only people that really care about you are your loved ones, your friends and families.
真正在乎你的只有你所爱的人、你的亲人和朋友。
Everyone else is too busy living his own little mini drama. To put it bluntly, your network couldn't care less about you.
而其他人都只围着自己的小日子转罢了。说穿了,社交关系中的人并不可靠。
That's why engaging yourself and others in mindless distraction isn't worth your time or theirs.
所以,浪费时间盲目分心应付自己或他人都没有意义。
More important, it will absolutely keep you from focusing on accomplishing whatever great things you might manage to achieve in life if you set your mind to do it.
更重要的是,当你决心着手生活中的大计划时,分心会有碍你集中完成目标。
The opportunity for adventure is right there in front of each and every one of us.
冒险之门向每个人敞开。
Until you take it, you'll never know what you might achieve. What marvels you might create. What you might discover.
打开这扇门之前,谁也不知道能获得哪些收获,会创造哪些奇迹,又将有什么新的发现。
All you have to do is start the journey.
你所要做的,仅仅是启程。