每日听写9.21(选)初级哈佛演讲台上的第一位中国学生
And so, in far too many places, people are still essentially trying to cure a spider bite with fire.
于是,在世界上很多地区,人们仍然用火疗的方法来处理蜘蛛咬伤事件。
While studying at Harvard, I saw how scientific knowledge can help others in simple, yet profound ways.
在哈佛学习期间,我知道了科学知识是如何用简单的又深刻的方式帮助到其他人的。
The bird flu pandemic in the 2000s looked to my village like a spell cast by demons.
在2000年的时候,禽流感肆虐,对我们村而言,这种病就像是魔鬼的诅咒。
Our folk medicine didn’t even have half-measures to offer.
在我们的民间治疗中根本找不到解决办法。
What's more, farmers did not know the difference between the common cold and flu.
更严重的是,农民们不知道普通的感冒和流感之间的区别。
They did not understand that the flu was much more lethal than common cold.
他们不明白流感比普通的感冒要致命地多。
Most were also unaware that the virus could transmit across different animal species.
而且,大部分人根本不了解流感病毒可以在不同物种间传播。
So when I realized that simple hygiene practices like separating different animal species could help to contain the spread of the disease,
所以当我了解了简单有效的卫生措施,比如隔离不同的物种可以遏制疾病的传播,
and that I could help make this knowledge available to my village.
并把这样的信息告诉我的村民。
That was my first "aha" moment as a bioscientist.
我的心里第一次有了作为生物科学家的成就感。