He vanished, but reappeared instantly: "Is your name Eyre, Miss?"
他走了,但立刻又回来了:“你的名字叫爱吗,小姐?"
Yes.
是的。
Person here waiting for you.
这儿有人在等你。
I jumped up, took my muff and umbrella, and hastened into the inn-passage.
我跳了起来,拿了皮手筒和伞急忙踏进旅店过道。
A man was standing by the open door, and in the lamp-lit street I dimly saw a one-horse conveyance.
敞开着的门边,一个男人在等候着,在点着路灯的街上,我依稀看到了一辆马车。
"This will be your luggage, I suppose?" said the man rather abruptly when he saw me, pointing to my trunk in the passage.
“我想这就是你的行李了?”这人见了我,指着过道上我的箱子唐突地说。”
"Yes." He hoisted it on to the vehicle, which was a sort of car, and then I got in.
“是的,”他把箱子举起来放到了车上,那是一辆马车。随后我坐了进去。
Before he shut me up, I asked him how far it was to Thornfield.
不等他关门就问到桑菲尔德有多远。
A matter of six miles.
六英里左右。
How long shall we be before we get there?
我们要多久才到得了那里?
Happen an hour and a half.
大概一个半小时。
经典文学《简·爱》
He fastened the car door, climbed to his own seat outside, and we set off.
他关了车门,爬到车外自己的位置上,我们便上路了。
Our progress was leisurely, and gave me ample time to reflect.
马车款款向前,使我有充裕的时间来思考。
I was content to be at length so near the end of my journey.
我很高兴终于接近了旅程的终点。
And as I leaned back in the comfortable though not elegant conveyance, I meditated much at my ease.
身子靠在虽不精致却很舒适的马车上,一时浮想联翩。
"I suppose," thought I, judging from the plainness of the servant and carriage, Mrs. Fairfax is not a very dashing person.
“我估计,”我想道,从朴实的仆人和马车来判断,费尔法克斯太太不是一个衣着华丽的女人,
So much the better.
这样倒更好。
I never lived amongst fine people but once, and I was very miserable with them.
我跟上等人只生活过一回,同他们相处真是受罪。
I wonder if she lives alone except this little girl;
不知道除了那位站娘之外,她是不是一个人过日子。
If so, and if she is in any degree amiable, I shall surely be able to get on with her.
如果是这样,而且她还算得上有点和气,我肯定能同她好好相处。
I will do my best.
我会尽力而为。
It is a pity that doing one's best does not always answer.
可惜竭尽全力并不总能得到好报。
At Lowood, indeed, I took that resolution, kept it, and succeeded in pleasing.
其实在罗沃德,我打定了主意,并坚持不懈地去实行,而且也赢得了别人的好感。
But with Mrs. Reed, I remember my best was always spurned with scorn.
但与里德太太相处,我记得我的好心总遭到鄙弃。
I pray God Mrs. Fairfax may not turn out a second Mrs. Reed.
我祈求上帝,但愿费尔法克斯太太不要到头来成了第二个里德太太。
But if she does, I am not bound to stay with her!
可要是她果真如此,我也并不是非与她相处下去不可。
Let the worst come to the worst, I can advertise again.
就是发生了最坏的情况,我还可以再登广告。
How far are we on our road now, I wonder?
不知道我们现在已走了多远了?”
I let down the window and looked out.
我放下窗子,往外盼望。
Millcote was behind us.
米尔科特已落在我们身后。
Judging by the number of its lights, it seemed a place of considerable magnitude, much larger than Lowton.
从灯光的数量来看,这似乎是一个相当大的城市,比洛顿要大得多。
We were now, as far as I could see, on a sort of common; but there were houses scattered all over the district.
就我所知,我们此刻像是在一块公地上,不过屋宇遍布整个地区。
I felt we were in a different region to Lowood, more populous, less picturesque; more stirring, less romantic.
我觉得我们所在的地区与罗沃德不同。人口更为稠密,却并不那么景色如画;更加熙熙攘攘,却不那么浪漫。