Did I say, a few days since, that I had nothing to do with him but to receive my salary at his hands?
难道几天前我不是说过,除了从他手里领取薪金,我同他没有关系吗?
Did I forbid myself to think of him in any other light than as a paymaster? Blasphemy against nature!
难道我除了把他看作雇主外,不是不允许自己对他有别的想法吗?这真是亵渎天性!
Every good, true, vigorous feeling I have gathers impulsively round him.
我的每种善良、真实、生气勃勃的情感,都冲动地朝他涌去了。
I know I must conceal my sentiments. I must smother hope.
我知道我必须掩饰自己的感情。抑制自己的愿望。
I must remember that he cannot care much for me.
牢记住他不会太在乎我。
For when I say that I am of his kind, I do not mean that I have his force to influence, and his spell to attract.
我说我属于他那类人,并不是说我有他那种影响力,那种迷人的魅力。
I mean only that I have certain tastes and feelings in common with him.
而不过是说我与他有某些共同的志趣与情感罢了。
I must, then, repeat continually that we are for ever sundered.
而我必须不断提醒自己,我们之间永远横亘着一条鸿沟。
And yet, while I breathe and think, I must love him."
不过只要我一息尚存,我必须爱他。
Coffee is handed. The ladies, since the gentlemen entered, have become lively as larks.
咖啡端来了。男宾们一进屋,女士们便象百灵鸟般活跃起来。
Conversation waxes brisk and merry.
谈话转为轻松欢快。
Colonel Dent and Mr. Eshton argue on politics. Their wives listen.
登特上校和埃希领先生在政治问题上争论了起来。他们的太太们侧耳静听着。
The two proud dowagers, Lady Lynn and Lady Ingram, confabulate together.
林恩太太和英格拉姆太太两位高傲的寡妇,在促膝谈心。
Sir George — whom, by-the-bye, I have forgotten to describe,
还有乔治爵士,顺便说一句,我忘记描述他了。
a very big, and very fresh-looking country gentleman, stands before their sofa, coffee-cup in hand, and occasionally puts in a word.
他是一位个子高大、精神十足的乡绅。这会儿手里端着咖啡杯,站在沙发跟前,偶尔插上一句话。
Mr. Frederick Lynn has taken a seat beside Mary Ingram, and is showing her the engravings of a splendid volume.
弗雷德里克·林恩先生坐在玛丽·英格拉姆旁边,给她看着一本装帧豪华的书籍里的插画。
She looks, smiles now and then, but apparently says little.
她看着,不时微笑着,但显然说话不多。
conceal [kən'si:l]
vt. 隐藏,隐瞒,掩盖
brisk [brisk]
adj. 敏锐的,凛冽的
adj. 活泼的
certain ['sə:tn]
adj. 确定的,必然的,特定的
lively ['laivli]
活泼的,活跃的,栩栩如生的,真实的
smother ['smʌðə]
v. 使 ... 喘不过气,使 ... 窒息,掩饰,扼杀
describe [dis'kraib]
vt. 描述,画(尤指几何图形),说成
vigorous ['vigərəs]
adj. 精力充沛的,元气旺盛的,有力的
conversation [.kɔnvə'seiʃən]
n. 会话,谈话
blasphemy ['blæsfimi]
n. 亵渎神明,亵渎神明的言词
occasionally [ə'keiʒənəli]
adv. 偶尔地
source: kekenet.com