微信公众号:英语听力123
This gave him an odd look, such as I never remembered to have seen.
这使他露出一付我从未见过的怪相。
For a handsome and not an unamiable-looking man, he repelled me exceedingly.
这样一个漂亮而且看来也并非不和蔼的男人,却使我极为讨厌。
There was no power in that smooth-skinned face of a full oval shape,
在那光滑的鹅蛋形脸蛋上没有魄力,
no firmness in that aquiline nose and small cherry mouth.
在那个鹰钩鼻和那张樱桃小口上缺少坚毅。
There was no thought on the low, even forehead, no command in that blank, brown eye.
在那低平的额头上没有思想;在那空洞的褐色眼睛里没有控制力。
As I sat in my usual nook, and looked at him with the light of the girandoles on the mantelpiece beaming full over him--
我坐在往常的角落里,打量着他,借着壁炉上把他浑身照得透亮的枝形烛架上的光--
for he occupied an arm-chair drawn close to the fire, and kept shrinking still nearer,
因为他坐在靠近火炉的一把安乐椅上,还不住地挨近炉火,
as if he were cold, I compared him with Mr. Rochester.
仿佛怕冷似的--我把他同罗切斯特先生作了比较。
I think (with deference be it spoken) the contrast could not be much greater between a sleek gander and a fierce falcon,
我想(但愿我这么说并无不敬)一只光滑的雄鹅和一只凶猛的猎鹰,
between a meek sheep and the rough-coated keen-eyed dog, its guardian.
一头驯服的绵羊和看守着它毛粗眼尖的猎狗之间的反差,也不见得比他们两者之间大。
He had spoken of Mr. Rochester as an old friend.
他说罗切斯特先生是他的故友。
A curious friendship theirs must have been — a pointed illustration, indeed, of the old adage that "extremes meet."
那必定是种奇怪的友谊,是古训"相反相成"的一个极好说明。
Two or three of the gentlemen sat near him, and I caught at times scraps of their conversation across the room.
两三位男士坐在他旁边,我听到了他们在房间另一头谈话的片断。
经典文学《简·爱》
At first I could not make much sense of what I heard;
起初我听不大懂,因为路易莎。
for the discourse of Louisa Eshton and Mary Ingram, who sat nearer to me,
埃希顿和玛丽·英格拉姆离我更近,
confused the fragmentary sentences that reached me at intervals.
她们的谈话使断断续续到我耳边的片言只语模糊不清。
These last were discussing the stranger.
路易莎和玛丽两人在谈论着陌生人。
They both called him "a beautiful man."
都称他为"美男子"。
Louisa said he was "a love of a creature," and she "adored him;"
路易莎说他是位"可爱的家伙"而且"喜欢他",
and Mary instanced his "pretty little mouth, and nice nose," as her ideal of the charming.
玛丽列举了"他的小嘴巴和漂亮鼻子",认为是她心目中理想的魅力所在。
"And what a sweet-tempered forehead he has!" cried Louisa.
"塑造得多好的额角!"路易莎叫道。