Are you going somewhere, Helen? Are you going home?
你上哪儿去吗,海伦?你要回家是不是?
Yes. To my long home - my last home.
是的,回到我永久的 - 我最后的家。”
No, no, Helen! I stopped, distressed.
不,不,海伦,我顿住了,心里很难过。
While I tried to devour my tears, a fit of coughing seized Helen.
我竭力咽下眼泪,这时海伦一阵咳嗽。
It did not, however, wake the nurse.
不过没有吵醒护士。
When it was over, she lay some minutes exhausted;
咳完以后,她精疲力尽地躺了几分钟。
Then she whispered: "Jane, your little feet are bare; lie down and cover yourself with my quilt."
随后轻声说:“简,你都光着你的小脚呢,躺下来吧,盖上我的被子。”
I did so. She put her arm over me, and I nestled close to her.
我照她的话做了。她用胳膊楼住我,我紧偎着她。
经典文学《简·爱》
After a long silence, she resumed, still whispering: "I am very happy, Jane, and when you hear that I am dead, you must be sure and not grieve.
在沉默了很久之后,她继续低声耳语着说:“我很愉快,简,你听到我已经死了的时候,你可千万别悲伤。”
There is nothing to grieve about.
没有什么可以感到悲伤的。
We all must die one day, and the illness which is removing me is not painful.
总有一天我们大家都得死去。现在正夺去我生命的疾病并不痛苦。
it is gentle and gradual. My mind is at rest.
既温和而又缓慢,我的心灵已经安息。
I leave no one to regret me much.
我不会让任何人感到太悲痛。
I have only a father; and he is lately married, and will not miss me.
我只有一个父亲,他新近刚结婚,不会思念我。
By dying young, I shall escape great sufferings.
我那么年纪轻轻就死去,可以逃脱大苦大难。
I had not qualities or talents to make my way very well in the world.
我没有会使自己在世上发迹的气质和才能。
I should have been continually at fault.
要是我活着,我会一直错下去的。
But where are you going to, Helen? Can you see? Do you know?
可是你到哪儿去呢,海伦?你能看得见吗?你知道吗?
I believe; I have faith. I am going to God.
我相信,我有信仰,我去上帝那儿。
Where is God? What is God?
上帝在哪儿?上帝是什么?
My Maker and yours, who will never destroy what He created.
我的创造者,也是你的。他不会永远毁坏他所创造的东西。
I rely implicitly on His power, and confide wholly in His goodness.
我毫无保留地依赖他的力量,完全信任他的仁慈。
I count the hours till that eventful one arrives which shall restore me to Him, reveal Him to me.
我数着钟点,直至那个重要时刻到来,那时我又被送还给他,他又再次显现在我面前。
You are sure, then, Helen, that there is such a place as heaven, and that our souls can get to it when we die?
海伦,那你肯定认为有天堂这个地方,而且我们死后灵魂都到那儿去吗?
I am sure there is a future state;
我敢肯定有一个未来的国度。
I believe God is good; I can resign my immortal part to Him without any misgiving.
我相信上帝是慈悲的。我可以毫无忧虑地把我不朽的部分托付给他,
God is my father; God is my friend. I love Him. I believe He loves me.
上帝是我的父亲,上帝是我的朋友,我爱他,我相信他也爱我。