And shall I see you again, Helen, when I die?
海伦,我死掉后,还能再见到你吗?
You will come to the same region of happiness. be received by the same mighty, universal Parent, no doubt, dear Jane.
你会来到同一个幸福的地域,被同一个伟大的、普天下共有的父亲所接纳,毫无疑问,亲爱的简。
Again I questioned, but this time only in thought.
我又再次发问,不过这回只是想想而已。
Where is that region? Does it exist?
这个地域在哪儿?它存在不存在?
And I clasped my arms closer round Helen;
我用胳膊把海伦楼得更紧了。
she seemed dearer to me than ever;
她对我似乎比以往任何时候都要宝贵了,
I felt as if I could not let her go.
我仿佛觉得我不能让她走。
I lay with my face hidden on her neck.
我躺着把脸埋在她的颈窝里。
经典文学《简·爱》
Presently she said, in the sweetest tone: "How comfortable I am! "
她立刻用最甜蜜的嗓音说:“我多么舒服啊!”
That last fit of coughing has tired me a little.
刚才那一阵子咳嗽弄得我有点儿累了,
I feel as if I could sleep, but don't leave me, Jane. I like to have you near me.
我好像是能睡着了,可是别离开我,简,我喜欢你在我身边。
I'll stay with you, DEAR Helen. no one shall take me away.
我会同你呆在一起的,亲爱的海伦。谁也不能把我撵走。
Are you warm, darling?
你暖和吗,亲爱的?
Yes.
是的。
Good-night, Jane.
晚安,简。
Good-night, Helen.
晚安,海伦。
She kissed me, and I her, and we both soon slumbered.
她吻了我,我吻了她,两人很快就睡熟了。
When I awoke it was day: An unusual movement roused me;
我醒来的时候已经是白天了。一阵异样的抖动把我弄醒了。
I looked up; I was in somebody's arms.
我抬起头来,发现自己正躺在别人的怀抱里。
The nurse held me. She was carrying me through the passage back to the dormitory.
那位护士抱着我,正穿过过道把我送回宿舍。
I was not reprimanded for leaving my bed;
我没有因为离开床位而受到责备。
People had something else to think about;
人们还有别的事儿要考虑。
No explanation was afforded then to my many questions;
我提出的很多问题也没有得到解释。
But a day or two afterwards I learned that Miss Temple, on returning to her own room at dawn, had found me laid in the little crib;
但一两天后我知道,坦普尔小姐在拂晓回房时,发现我躺在小床上。
My face against Helen Burns's shoulder, my arms round her neck.
我的脸蛋紧贴着海伦.彭斯的肩膀,我的胳膊搂着她的脖子。
I was asleep, and Helen was - dead.
我睡着了,而海伦-死了。
Her grave is in Brocklebridge churchyard.
她的坟墓在布罗克布里奇墓地。
For fifteen years after her death it was only covered by a grassy mound;
她去世后十五年中,墓上仅有一个杂草丛生的土墩。
But now a grey marble tablet marks the spot, inscribed with her name, and the word "Resurgam."
但现在一块灰色的大理石墓碑标出了这个地点,上面刻着她的名字及“重生”这个字。