3 The actors come to town
3 演员来到镇上
Will married Anne Hathaway in November,and she came to live in Henley Street.
11月威尔和安·哈瑟维结婚了,安就住进了亨里街。
John Shakespeare was pleased that his oldest son was married,
约翰·莎士比亚见长子成家心里很高兴,
but I don't think Will's mother wanted him to marry so young.
可我觉得威尔的母亲并不想他这么早就结婚。
Families cost a lot of money,and John Shakespeare was having a lot of money troubles in those days.
结婚花了家里不少钱,再加上约翰·莎士比亚那段时间财运不济,
Times were hard in Henley Street.
这样一来,日子过得有点艰难。
Susanna was born the next May.
次年5月女儿苏珊娜出世。
All babies look the same to me,but Will was very pleased with her.
对我来说,所有的孩子没什么不一样,但威尔欣喜若狂。
Look,Toby,she's got my eyes,he said happily.
托比,你瞧,她的眼睛长得真像我,他高兴地说着,
She's going to be as beautiful as the Queen of Egypt,and as clever as King Solomon.
长大后,她会美丽如埃及艳后,聪明如所罗门国王。
Oh yes?I said.All parents talk like that about their children.
是吗?我说,所有父母都是这么说自己的孩子。
I don't believe a word of it.
我可不信。
I didn't see much of Will's wife.
我不常见到威尔夫人,
I knew she didn't like me.
也清楚她不喜欢我。
To her,I was one of Will's wild friends,who got him into trouble.
对她而言,我是威尔的一个粗野朋友,这种朋友只会让他出麻烦。
She came from a very serious,Puritan family.
她出生于一个虔诚的清教徒家庭,
Lots of church-going,and no singing or dancing.
除了去教堂外根本不懂音乐和舞蹈。
Soon there was another baby on the way,
不久,又一个孩子要出世了。
and one evening in February 1585 I hurried round to Henley Street to hear the news.
1585年2月的一个夜晚我急匆匆地赶到亨里街去打听消息。
Will's sister,Joan,opened the door,and then Will came running down the stairs.
威尔的妹妹琼为我开了门,接着就见威尔跑下楼梯。
It's two of them!he said.Twins!A girl and a boy.Isn't that wonderful!
一胎两个呢!他说道,是双胞胎!一女一男。真是妙极了!
Will had some good friends,Hamnet and Judith Sadler,and he called the twins after them.
威尔根据好友哈姆奈特和珠迪丝·塞德勒的名字给孪生子女起了名。
John Shakespeare was very pleased to have his first grandson,and everyone was happy.For a while.
约翰·莎士比亚见第一个孙子出世,由衷地高兴,有一段时间,每一个人都很快乐。
Will and I still went around together when we could.
只要有机会威尔和我仍然经常来往,
He was still reading,and writing,and soon I could see a change in him.
他依然读书写作,但是不久,我发现他变了。
He was twenty-three now,and he was not happy with his life.
当时他23岁,但对生活不再知足。
Stratford's too small,Toby,he said.Too slow.Too quiet.Too boring.I've got to get away.
托比,斯特拉福镇实在太小了,他说道,发展缓慢,生活宁静,日子又单调,我必须离开此地。
Yes,but how?I asked.You've got a family—three young children,remember.
是啊,可怎么离开呢?我问道,别忘了,你已经成家——还有三个孩子。
He didn't answer.
他没有答话。